I used to think that baby back ribs were good until I had beef ribs. These things will change your life (for the better) and make you question all the pork ribs you ever ate. They are also very easy to prep, cook and take half the time of larger cuts. There are short ribs and back ribs. I do the short ribs.
- I get beef short ribs cut individually. Typically you find 4-6 short ribs on a rack and I have the butcher cut along the bone. They always offer to cut across the bone but not sure why.
- Trim the fat on these guys to get good rub on the meat.
- Rub the ribs with salt the night before then the flavor rub an hour or two before cooking. I use olive oil to help the flavor rub stick
- Smoke at 225 with hickory or pecan.
- Takes about 5 hours. Sometimes I cook to internal to 203 but I am not sure if this overcooks them or not. I might try it again at 195. Last time I did it by feel and it came out incredible. Looked for a sponginess to meat.