An accurate thermometer is key to good food. There are two I use when I smoke; I default the instant read for regular grilling and cooking:
- Instant Read .. Thermapen
- Instant read for checks in different parts of the meat and grilling (steaks, etc)
- suppose to read in 2 seconds (vs. waiting for the temperature to slowly climb up). This is essential for ribeyes and convenient for not overcooking chicken.
- Leave-in .. iGrill2
- Leave-in with two probes for larger cuts such as beef ribs, brisket, ham and pork butt
- This thing is great and you export the data to a csv file so you can make pretty bar line graphs.
- Has decent range but relies on bluetooth.
- You can have up to 4 probes.